Jobseeker's Benefit


About Jobseekers Benefit

Jobseeker’s Benefit is a weekly payment made by the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection to unemployed jobseeker’s who are out of work, meet the general qualification criteria, as outlined below  , and have enough PRSI contributions to qualify for this social insurance payment.

You can receive a payment for yourself (main claimant), your spouse / civil partner / co-habitant (Qualified Adult) and any dependant children (Qualified Child) - see Rates of Payment below.

Your payment, as the main claimant, is not means tested and is not affected by any savings, investments or the ownership of property other than your own home you may have.

Your spouse’s, civil partner’s or cohabitant's income can affect how much you will recieve in your Jobseeker's Benefit payment for him or her as a qualified adult (QA). Their income from employment or self-employment may affect their portion of your payment. Any other addition income they may have or the value of any property, savings and investments they have may also affect the payment you might receive for them.

Jobseeker's Benefit is not paid for the first 3 days of your claim.

  >> back to top

How to Qualify for Jobseeker's Benefit 

In order to qualify for a Jobseeker's Benefit payment you must satisfy the following conditions:

  • Be unemployed
  • Be under pension age (66)
  • Be capable of work
  • Be available for full-time work
  • Be genuinely seeking work
  • Have sustained a substantial loss of employment
  • Satisfy the PRSI contribution conditions

It is extremely important that you have your application organised before approaching the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection to make a claim for a Jobseekers payment. It will aid the process and ensure that there are no unnecessary or avoidable delays in processing your application, please read our Claiming a payment page for more information.

>> back to top

Rates of Payment

  • Rates of Payment
  • Reduced Rates of Payment
  • Reduced Rates of Payment
  • Penalty Rates of payment


  •  Reduced Rates of Payment


Average weekly earnings Personal rate Qualified adult rate
Less than €150€86.70€83.00
€150 - €219.99€121.40€83.00
€220 - €299.99€147.30€83.00
€300 or more€193.00€128.10

>> back to top

  •  Duration of Payment

Jobseeker's Benefit is normally paid for a maximum of 9 months, after which time you may applyf for the means tested Jobseeker's Allowance payment. If you have less than 260 PRSI contributions paid since first entering employment Jobseeker's Benefit will only be paid for 6 months instead of the full 9 months.

PRSI Contributions

To qualify for JB your PRSI record must include:

  • 104 paid contributions since you first started work (Prior to January 2009, 52 weeks were required)
  • 39 paid or credited contributions in the relevant tax/ contribution year (From January 2009 13 must be paid in the relevant tax year or certain other periods) or 26 paid contributions in relevant tax year AND 26 paid contributions in year prior to relevant tax year, and
  • you must have lost at least one days employment and earnings.

If you are unsure about your PRSI record, you can contact the PRSI Section at the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection for more information: 01 - 704 3000 or 01-6797777. Please be aware that department officials may not be able to give out certain information about your Social Welfare/PRSI record under the Freedom of Information Act.


Self-employed people

If you have been self-employed, for example a sub-contractor in the building industry, you may have been paying a Class S contribution. You cannot claim Jobseeker's Benefit with Class S contributions, but may be able to claim Jobseeker's Allowance subject to a means test. The only exception to this rule is if you have the correct number of contributions and were self-employed under a contract of service. Please contact the INOU at 01 -856 0088 for more information.

To qualify for Jobseeker's Benefit you must:

Benefit Year

This is the calendar year in which you are making your claim for Jobseeker's Benefit. It starts on the first Monday in January, and runs from January to December.

Governing Contribution Year

In order to qualify for Jobseeker' Benefit you must have the required number of PRSI contributions in the governing contribution year (GCY) - this is the second-last full tax year before the benefit year.

Benefit Year Governing Contribution Year
Benefit YearContribution/Tax Year
1st Monday January 20081st January 2006 - 31st December 2006
1st Monday January 20091st January 2007 - 31st December 2007
1st Monday January 20101st January 2008 - 31st December 2008


If your employment in the relevant year was in another EU country or as a volunteer development worker abroad, you will receive the top rate of payment. If you did not earn any money in that year, but were getting credits, you will receive the minimum rate of payment.

Requalifying for Jobseeker's Benefit

If you have used up your entitlement to Jobseeker's Benefit, you may requalify for JB by working and paying the appropriate PRSI contributions for at least 13 weeks. (You can start building up these 13 contributions after the 156th day on Jobseeker's Benefit).

Social Insurance and Work in the European Union

Your social insurance record from another EU country may help you qualify for a Jobseeker's Benefit payment in Ireland. However, in order to use your record from abroad you must have paid at least one reckonable (class A, H or P) PRSI contribution in Ireland since your return to Ireland.

Claiming JB in another EU country

You can transfer up to 13 weeks of your JB payment to another EU country provided you are looking for work in that country. You must have been getting JB here for at least 4 weeks before you go. Ask your local Social Welfare Office about transferring JB at least a month before you intend travelling.


How to Apply for Jobseeker's Benefit

- Intreo Service

If you are making a new claim for Jobseeker's Benefit you will be referred to the new Intreo service at the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection. The Intreo service will seek to help you with your employment and income support services needs.

Intreo will provide a personal service, based on your individual needs, including: advice on education, training and personal development opportunities; job search assistance; and information on and access to a range of income supports.

For more information on the making an applciation for Jobseeker's Benefit through the Intreo Service click here.

>> back to top

- Documents you will need

Pleae see the links below for details of the documentation you will need in support of your application for Jobseeker's Benefit

>> back to top

Return to Work Supports

The Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection operate a number of schemes to support Jobseekers to Return to Work, these include:

  >> back to top

Self-Employment Options

The Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection operate a number of schemes to support Jobseekers in exploring Self-Employment opportunities, these include:

  >> back to top

Education and Training Options

There a number of Education and Training options available to people in reciept of Jobseeker's Benefit payments, these include:

Back to Education Allowance - Second-level option

Back to Education Allowance - Third-level option

Part-time Education Option


  Intreo - Employment and Income Supports

Intreo is a new service from the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection to help with your employment and income support services needs.

Intreo will provide a personalised service, based on your individual needs including; advice on education , training and personal development opportunities, job search assistance as well as information on and access to a range of income supports , including Jobseeker's Benefit payments

Intreo can provide the following services and supports to Jobseekers

  • Employment services and income supports available in one place.
  • Expert assistance and advice on employment, training and personal development opportunities.
  • A focus on your individual needs to assist you enter the workforce.
  • Self-service facilities to provide you with information and guidance on employment and training opportunities.
  • Access to information on job vacancies through
  • Information on the full range of income supports provided by the Department of Social Protection, for example, jobseeker’s payments, back to work and back to education payments, one-parent family payments, pensions and others. Also, any queries in relation to your jobseekers or one-parent family payment will continue to be dealt with by the team in your Intreo Centre .

For more information on Intreo visit the Intreo section of Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection website.

  >> back to top

Useful Links


  >> back to top

>> back to top

Contact Us:

- Telephone:

You can speak, in complete confidence, to an Information Officer in the Information and Advocacy section directly at 01 - 856 0088 , Monday - Friday 9.30 am to 5.00 pm.

- Online:

Use the online Contact Us form on the INOU website - click here

- E-mail:

You can send your query directly to us by e-mail at 

>> back to top


Last Updated: 08/03/2018