We're not there yet
The fall in the Live Register continued in February with today’s Live Register figures pointing to an on-going improvement in the labour market. In February, the seasonally adjusted unemployment figure was 355,600 giving a standardised unemployment rate of 10.1%. The seasonally adjusted register fell by 4,300 in the month to the end of February and by 10.8% or 42,900 in the last year. This on-going decrease in unemployment and the increase in the overall numbers in employment evident in the most recent Quarterly National Household Survey is a very welcomed development. However, Ireland has a long way to go to reach the pre-crisis levels of employment.
Looking at the unadjusted figures there were 355,124 people on the Live Register in February, of whom 45.8% or 162,776 were long-term unemployed. In their recent country report on Ireland, the EU Commission staff noted that long-term unemployment remains a problem and of particular concern to them, and to the INOU, is the share of structural unemployment.
There were 85,080 people on activation programmes, a slight increase on February 2014: of this number 49,031 people were on employment programmes, an increase of 4.3% on the same month last year. If unemployed people are to share in the current recovery, the state must ensure that people on the Live Register continue to be supported to access jobs. In particular that the DSP Intreo Service, underpinned by a sophisticated job matching system, works effectively with employers seeking to fill their vacancies.
Jobs Expo Croke Park, Dublin Saturday 16th & Sunday 17th May 2015
Since its inception in May 2012, Jobs Expo has taken place in Dublin 6 times, bringing over 35,000 job-seekers into contact with thousands of career opportunities from across the country and around the world.
Jobs Expo is now set to return to Dublin and Cork – to Cusack Suite, Croke Park, Dublin on Saturday 16th & Sunday 17th May and Thursday 25th June at the Silver Springs Moran Hotel, Cork, to bring even more opportunities for advancement then ever before!
Exhibitors to suit every career ambition are to be found at Jobs Expo:
• Seeking a job at home or abroad.
• Investigating emigration opportunities and requirements (Visa, etc.)
• Thinking of starting your own business.
• Looking to improve your CV and interview/job-hunting skills.
• Interested in upskilling and professional qualifications
Besides a wide variety of stands, visitors can also avail of free, one-to-one advice on improving their CV and job seeking skills at our Career Clinic, and enjoy topical, engaging expert speakers providing Seminars on a range of career-related topics.
To see the Upcoming Events Page click here
- We're not there yet 4 Mar 2015 - The seasonally adjusted register fell by 4,300 in the month to the end of February and by 10.8% or 42,900 in the last year.This on...
- Unemployment is still an issue for far too many people 4 Feb 2015 - The fall in Live Register continues in January as today’s Live Register figures point to a slow but on-going improvement in the ...
- Action on Jobs 30 Jan 2015 - Action on Jobs Yesterday (Thursday), the Government published the Action Plan for Jobs 2015. The Plan is the fourth annual plan i...