Increase in numbers in employment and fall in numbers unemployed continues
The Central Statistics Office has published the Quarterly National Household Survey (QNHS) figures for Quarter 2 (April – June), 2015. The figures show a continuing increase in the numbers of people in work and an on-going fall in the number of people who are unemployed. The figures also show that the overwhelming majority of jobs being created are full-time positions – in the last year, full-time employment increased by 56,800 and part-time employment increased by 300
Overall, employment increased by 57,100 over the year to 1,958,700 and unemployment fell by 43,300 in the same period to 211,200. Significantly, long-term unemployment fell by 28,000 in the year. There are now 118,600 people classified as long-term unemployed. This figure, whilst reducing, is still a cause for concern.
The largest rate of increase in employment was in the construction sector – employment in this sector increased by 18.5% or 19,700. The upturn in construction activity will hopefully present further opportunities for people who were previously employed in this sector to return to work. The seasonally adjusted unemployment rate is now 9.6%.
Notwithstanding the welcomed increase in the numbers in work and the reduction in unemployment, there are still very significant numbers of people out of work. The state must ensure the best possible regional spread of new jobs and unemployed people must continue to be supported to access the job opportunities that are beginning to emerge.
For further information on the QNHS release click here …….
Job Seekers Expo, Ballina Co. Mayo - 2 September 2015
Mayo County Council & Mayo North East LEADER Partnership Co. will be holding a FREE Education, Training & Supports for Jobseekers Expo In The Newman Institute, Cathedral Grounds, Ballina, Co. Mayo, on Wednesday 2nd September 2015. There will be a number of workshops during the Expo including:
- Back to Work Enterprise Allowance: Mayo North East LEADER Partnership Co. Social Inclusion and Community Activation Programme (SICAP)
- Returning to Learning: Mayo Sligo Leitrim Education and Training Board
- Employment Trends and Growth Sectors: Western Development Commission
- Landing that Job: Mayo Job Club
- Flexible Training Courses and Support Services for People who may benefit from Specialist Support: National Learning Network
Contact details: Pat on 094 9047545 or Siobhán 094 9256745
To see more upcoming events click here
- Increase in numbers in employment and fall in numbers unemployed continues 26 Aug 2015 - The Central Statistics Office has published the Quarterly National Household Survey (QNHS) figures for Quarter 2 (April – June),...
- Press Release: Sharing in the Recovery 2 Jul 2015 - SHARING IN THE RECOVERY: BUDGET 2016 The Irish National Organisation of the Unemployed will be attending the Department of Social ...
- Monthly Unemployment Report 3 Jun 2015 - Today, Wednesday 3rd June, 2015 the Central Statistics Office (CSO) published a new report entitled the Monthly Unemployment Rep...