Habitual Residence Condition

Habitual Residence Condition

You must satisfy the Habitual Residence condition in order to qualify for Jobseeker's Allowance and Supplementary Welfare Allowance payments, regardless of your nationality.

Generally if you have been 'legally' present in Ireland for 2 years or more, work here and have a settled intention to remain in Ireland and make it your permanent home you will satisfy the habitual residence condition.

If you have lived in other parts of the Common Travel Area (i.e. England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man) for two years or more and then move to Ireland with the intention of settling here you are quite likely to satisfy the habitual residence condition.

Refusal of payment on Habitual Residence conditions can be appealed to the Social Welfare Appeals Office. Contact the INOU for more information by phone on (01)856 00 88 or e-mail welfare@inou.ie 

Please note:
As of November 2005, EU citizens may be able to claim a basic Supplementary Welfare Allowance (SWA) payment, and access Rent Supplement and other Supplementary Welfare Allowance (SWA) payments, if they:

  • Have been employed in Ireland,
  • Have lost their job, and
  • Meet other relevant qualifying conditions for Supplementary Welfare Allowance (SWA).


More Information:

For more information on the Habitual Residence Condition and how it applies to Social Insurance Payments please visit the following:

Contact Us


You can speak, in complete confidence, to an Information Officer in the Information and Advocacy section directly at 01 - 856 0088 , Monday - Thursday 9.30 am to 5.00 pm and Friday 9.30am to 4.00pm.


Use the online Contact Us forms on the INOU website

Updated: 19/01/2021